Page 17

Responsible Tourism_2017

17 THE TOURISM SECTOR AND THE SUSTAINABLE DEVELOPMENT GOALS Tourism. A factor for growth and development percentage of the workforce,8 and in Spain women account for 44.3% of employment in the sector. In branches such as accommodation services this percentage reaches 55.5% in contrast to 17.2% female employment in the area of transport. According to the Spanish National Statistics Institute (INE), in 2015, 21.5% of those employed in tourism were self-employed, while 78.5% were salaried workers. Of the latter, 74.9% had permanent contracts and the rest (25.1%) were temporary workers. One trend that has characterized tourism in Spain for many years has been its seasonality, as it has been a sun-and-sand destination in summer for tourists from northern Europe. This seasonality inevitably impacts the rate of temporary employment and the income for local workers. Over recent years steps have been taken to diversify the tourism supply in order to attract travellers during the low season, by promoting cultural, city, and business tourism. According to the 2015 data in the UNWTO Barometer, it seems that this strategy is beginning to bear fruit given the growth of tourism in the months of October (10%) and November (11%). Particularly in recent months, growth in the demand by tourists from the United Kingdom was recorded. On the other hand, low-cost airlines and cruises continue to expand in the Spanish market, and thus it appears that tourism in Spain, as in the rest of Europe, will continue to grow at a somewhat slower but stable pace in the coming years. 8 Global Report on Women in Tourism 2010 (Madrid: UNWTO and UN Women, 2011) 84.5 MOST-VISITED TOURISM MILLION FRANCE DESTINATIONS IN THE WORLD 77.5 INTERNATIONAL TOURIST MILLION USA ARRIVALS 2015 68.2 SPAIN © World Tourism Organization (UNWTO), 2016 MILLION 56.9 MILLION CHINA 50.7 MILLION ITALY UNWTO Tourism Highlights (Madrid, UNWTO, 2016 edition) 184 COUNTRIES EARNING THE MOST USA MILLION EUROS FROM TOURISM INA 103 INTERNATIONAL TOURISM CH MILLION EUROS RECEIPTS 2015 SPAIN 51 © World Tourism Organization (UNWTO), 2016 MILLION EUROS FRANCE 41 MILLION EUROS UNITED KINGDOM 41 MILLION EUROS UNWTO Tourism Highlights (Madrid, UNWTO, 2016 edition)


Responsible Tourism_2017
To see the actual publication please follow the link above